Sunday, January 2, 2011

I Knew Gov. Barbour's Kidney Deal was Wrong (Video)

When I wrote on Wednesday about Mississippi Governor Haley Barbour suspending the sentences of Jamie and Gladys Scott, my post's headline emphasized the kidney deal. Barbour's treatment of the Scott Sisters just did not seem right to me. Now I've learned via ABC News that that deal may not even be legal. Read the full story at ABC where bioethicists indicate, "Governor's Deal Violates 50-Year-Old Donation Laws Outlawing Coercion and Rewards; What If Sisters Aren't a Match?." Video is below as well.

2 comments:

msladydeborah said...

Nordette,

If one my sibs needed a kidney, no one whould have to suggest that I think about donating mine. I took that condition to be his public justification for the decision to release the sisters. (as if the case isn't strong enough on its own merit)

Vérité Parlant is Nordette Adams said...

He said the donation is a condition of Gladys's sentence suspension, but Gladys had already expressed her willingness to donate the kidney a while back.

His justification (very Republican of him) is that if they let the sisters go free, the State of Mississippi will not have to pay Jamie's medical bills.

The man's an ignoramus. He shouldn't have mentioned the kidney donation at all, but I guess he thought he had to find something because God forbid he admit the sentence was unjust in the first place. Some of his constituents think the sentence was justified and since he's a "tough on crime" governor, he dare not say otherwise.

And this is all to distract from his attempts to rewrite segregationist history anyway. The man seems incapable of admitting Mississippi's ever been wrong about anything.