Friday, February 19, 2010

Real Men! I'm a Womanist, But Dayumn this is Funny

Based on conversations some of us have been having about what we laugh at in spite of ourselves, BlogHer.com's Suzanne Reisman posted Guilty Pleasures and Feminism. It covers commercials that could or should be deemed sexist that still make us laugh, well, at least some of us.

Her post made me remember that I intended to post a commercial that I watched at least three times in a row Tuesday night and laughed (okay, I salivated a bit too). It's the Old Spice Body Wash "I'm a Man" commercial, which I've embedded below, and I've discovered it's part of a series the company's calling "manmercials." Can't vouch for the rest of them, but the one below got me.



H/T to Maria Niles for letting me know that the man in the manmericial's name is Isaiah Mustafa, and he's on Twitter, and the Ministry of Gossip noticed him too. He's "the man your man could smell like." (and "I'm on a horse.") The MOG article also has video at the end telling how the producers made this video with Mustafa, a former NFL player. (Updated, 6:40 CST)

I caught it on DVR as I was fast-forwarding. Of course, this brother's body is what caught my eye as it whizzed by, but I also saw his facial expressions and thought, "Hey, wait! He's got to be saying something funny." So, I rewound and yes, he was saying some pretty funny stuff, "Look at your man, now back to me," and so forth. This commercial plays on one of the oldest gender stereotpyes, macho man masculinity. Go, Village People!

I laughed at it the same way I laugh at the "Gaston" song in Disney's Beauty and the Beast.



Great satire and the undercurrent is the stereotype of women's expectations of a "real man."

10 comments:

Monica said...

OMG! I was watching Lost the first time I saw that Old Spice commercial. He said look at him so I did! I was dying. Loved. It. Now I was watching Lost in hopes of seeing that man again and watching the magic happen with those diamonds in his hand. But no, there was a SECOND COMMERCIAL! Thanks for posting this. It's a great way to end my day!

María said...

"I'm on a horse."
Hilarity.

Average Jane said...

I watched a fun interview with the ad agency creative team that talked about how they did that commercial as one long take.

le0pard13 said...

My wife and I saw this and we cracked up! Great comparison with Beauty and the Beast's Gaston, Nordette. Fun post.

Vérité Parlant is Nordette Adams said...

Thank you, Average Jane. Maria Niles also sent me a link to the Ministry of Gossip that had that video at the end. I've added the link to the post. :-)

Cold Spaghetti said...

Whew! Is it getting hot in here???

n2ative1 said...

Ooooo! Giddy-Up! The voice, the humor, the body. Whew! I must admit that my father wore the original Old Spice fragrance. It is a scent I equate with manhood. There was a time when I demanded that my ex steer clear of it and before and after him, I couldn't bear to smell it on any of my dates. I may have to rethink that.

SjP said...

Saw the commercial the other night, too with my best half. We both looked at each other and cracked up laughing! Too funny!

PPR_Scribe said...

LOVE that spot! I, too, saw it w/my (male) spouse. We both laughed. I wouldn't put this in a category of "guilty pleasures"--things we laugh at though we should be tsk-tsking it because of sexism, racism, both, some-other-ism. The over the top nature of this ad makes me think that we're meant to "get" that the masculinity it is depicting is pretty silly.

But this could just be my justification for wanting to watch this guy!

Vérité Parlant is Nordette Adams said...

@ PPR. I get what you're saying. It plays to sexist stereotypes but it's not mean. It's friendly. A great example of "laugh at yourselves. You know you like this man! And laugh at us men because we know this is ridiculous."

However, with the way I've seen some people overanalyze humor looking for offense to the point where they think nothing is funny, well ... i'm just saying. :-) We've seen a rash of "masculinity" commercials lately, and some of them are annoying, but not this one.

U know, he told me to look at him, and I obeyed. I obeyed a lot. LOL.