Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The Power of Pine Sol, Baby: New Sexy Ad

When I heard about Pine Sol's new ad direction, to dress up its African-American spokesperson, Diane Amos (you know, the heavyset black woman with braids), in a couture gown and to be seen coming home to sexy, muscled chocolate man mopping the floor, I had to post it. (See New York Time article: Selling a Household Cleaning Product on Its ... Sex Appeal?)

And then I recalled this article that my daughter saw via David Letterman, I think, or it could have been Jay Leno (She doesn't ever know who she's really watching) that's up at the UK Daily Mail saying men who vacuum and use a microwave have lower sperm counts. I don't which is funnier, the study or the commercial. See Pine Sol commercial from YouTube video below.

All right, you know how we like to pick at Madison Avenue. Who will be the first one to ask this question, "Is Pine Sol saying that in order for a black woman to be sexy she has to have straight hair and ditch the braids?" Maybe I'm the first. Hmm. I'll google it.

5 comments:

Professor Kim said...

Maybe they thought braids didn't fit into the whole Harlequin Romance motif they seemed to be working from. What I don't understand is why she is holding the PineSol as if she's going to drink it?

Vérité Parlant is Nordette Adams said...

ROFL. "And we have for you this evening a nice Pine Sol, 2009. You'll need Health Insurance with that, Madam."

blackwomenblowthetrumpet.blogspot.com said...

Nordette,

This commercial is hilarious!! I mean, knee-slapping hilarious!!

The whole Mandingo imagery is just over-the-top! It really is...

I think they showed her without her braids to suggest that she now had time to go to the salon since she wasn't in her house cleaning all day long... gurrrl....

PPR_Scribe said...

This cracks me up every time I see it. My kids think I have lost my mind when they observe my reaction.

I hadn't thought about the braids issue. I'm willing to give home girl a break from the analysis and just let her enjoy herself. More "power (of pine sol) to her!" LOL

Mom101 said...

Okay that's just funny. As is Professor Kim's comment.

Her hair is "done" because it's the fastest, easiest read in a 30 second commercial to communicate that she's fixed up fancy. I doubt anyone gave it much more thought than that.