Friday, June 26, 2009

OSF: Michael Jackson, Personal Remembrance

Yesterday we and the whole world took a blow to the heart when it was announced that Michael Jackson had suffered cardiac arrest and died. I said some of what I have to say for now in my post yesterday. Today, as part of the Old School Friday meme, of which the theme is rightfully a remembrance of Michael Jackson, I add the "Smooth Criminal" music video.

Something not many people know is that in addition to Michael's having been a supremely talented performer, he is also a patent holder. He helped create the specially-designed shoes for the "Smooth Criminal" video that allowed him and the other dancers to lean so far, one of the most remarkable moves ever.

I grew up as a Jackson 5 maniac. If they were on the TV, I was there. If they put out a record, I had to have it, and with most little girls of the 60s and early 70s, I was in love with Michael Jackson. I still know the music lyrics, just put on "I Want You Back," "Stop the Love," "ABC," or "I'll Be There" and all the others and I am there.

By the time Michael was rising to stardom as a solo artist, I was smack into family life and wasn't buying music the way I used to, but I was there with the rest of America in awe of his award-winning performance at Motown's 25th Anniversary. He blew me away and I smiled like he was my blood brother on television.

I made time between family obligations to watch his music videos that seemed to be always on in the 80s. Also being a movie musical junkie, I ate up his videos which spotlighted not only his music and songwriting ability but also his genuine genius as a dancer. It seemed he was single-handedly reviving the big movie studio musical genre through the music video.

I didn't mean to write so much.

If you see errors please forgive me because I'm on my way out the door to pick up my son, but since I don't know when I'll get back, I had to write my OSF post first. Like others, I don't think I've absorbed that Michael Jackson is gone from this earth but praise heaven we have him forever through his life's work. Watching the people gather in spots associated with him and seeing the young people dance outside the Apollo are moments to remember as well.

Here's the full-length Smooth Criminal.


Michael Jackson, King of Pop, may he rest in peace and may his gifts to us be remembered always.

The creators of the Old School Friday meme are Mrs. Grapevine and Marvalus at Conversations with Marva and has these rules, if you want to join this theme party.

2 comments:

Regina said...

There are many songs of Michael's that I love and as a young girl I (as all other young girls did!) had the biggest crush. As I got older I fell out of love and as an adult I liked his music less and less but no one can every say that he did not have talent and break multiple barriers for the generation of performers that came after him.
I hope he is finally at peace, something I think eluded him in life. This is definitely a loss of an awesome talent. RIP - MJJ.

Marvalus said...

It is THIS Smooth Criminal video that I love...not that fast forward one that they show...

::heavy sigh::

I don't know what to say...I have run out of words...