Saturday, April 18, 2009

Noblesse Oblige Indeed: The Award

I am especially honored that in one week two different bloggers that I greatly respect both recognized me with the Noblesse Oblige Award. Those two bloggers are underOvr (aka The U) at Any Way I Have To and MsLadyDeborah at From My Brown Eyed View.

Their kindness leaves me in a bit of a quandary. I wasn't aware of the award until underOvr bestowed it upon me and the first person who came to mind for my list was MsLadyDeborah because she fits the qualifications immediately:
  • The Blogger manifests exemplary attitude, respecting the nuances that pervades amongst different cultures and beliefs.

  • The Blog contents inspire; strives to encourage and offers solutions.

  • There is a clear purpose at the Blog; one that fosters a better understanding on Social, Political, Economic, the Arts, Culture and Sciences and Beliefs.

  • The Blog is refreshing and creative.

  • The Blogger promotes friendship and positive thinking.
  • However, I can't give her the award since she's already given it to me. I thank both of them and add that UnderOvr is a blogger who's recently appeared at my blog. He covers almost any topic that comes up beautifully. Recently he tried his pen at poetry for the first time. I especially enjoy his writing about himself, the cadence of his writing, and in general his cogency.

    I agree with his assessment of SJP of Sojourner's Place, who awarded him the Noblesse Oblige Award. She is an open-hearted, inspirational, and talented blogger. When I visit her blog, I feel she's someone I could sit down with for a meal and enjoy the conversation.

    Per instructions, the blogger who receives this award must perform the following steps:
    1. Create a Post with a mention and link to the person who presented the Noblesse Oblige Award.
    2. The Award Conditions must be displayed at the Post.
    3. Write a short article about what the Blog has thus far achieved – preferably citing one or more older post to support. (see below)
    4. The Blogger must present the Noblesse Oblige Award in concurrence with the Award conditions.
    5. The Blogger must display the Award at any location at the Blog.
    In answer to the third requirement: I hope I inspire others and I think I've done that with posts such as the one about the Bush twins letter to Sasha and Malia. I've noticed that I write often on politics, usually with a stern voice, but I do try to cut the opposition slack when possible and also to be more open to cultures other than my own, avoiding stereotypes. As a poet, I know I've posted inspirational items such as "The Poets Speaking Beauty." If I consider my coverage of social issues, the arts, science, politics, and culture, I wrote a post on stem cells that covered all those topics in one post. On the economics, please check my economy label.

    In addition, I recently posted on "The Ebony Experiment: Stop Asking Is It Racist?" at Blogher.com (the comment section's something else). Finally, while not connected to this blog directly and not actually a blog, my posts as the New Orleans Literature Examiner touch on both culture and social issues. Some of the ideas there come from what I may have covered here or discovered surfing the blogosphere.

    Am I friendly? I make an effort to be so and hope to find the time to visit other blogs more. When I write posts, I make sure to give credit where credit is due, linking to other bloggers whose work I may reference.

    Now for the best part, awarding others. I pass on the Noblesse Oblige Award to the following bloggers:
    1. Candelaria at Good & Plenty: I met Candelaria via BlogHer. Her blog Good & Plenty shows that she's concerned about our world not just her world. She writes with an openness and self-awareness that I envy. She's also the Boston Relationships Examiner where she's giving good advice.
    2. Marvalus at Opinionated Black Woman: It's possible she's already received this award. I checked her blog, however, and didn't see it. I became aware of her via the Marvalus View and still follow her now that she's started OBW. As suggested by the name of her blog OBW, Marvalus has opinions. She writes on a variety of topics and she does so with grace and humor.
    3. Hagar's Daughters: This blog is insightful. I especially appreciate her quotes along the side of the page. And she promotes positive thinking not only by her general posts but also through her candid posts about her life, a topic she prefers not to discuss often but covers with humility when she does.
    4. PR Scribe at This So-Called Post-Post-Racial Life: First of all, you've just gotta love the name of her blog. Second, she's a talented writer and professional who blogs not only social issues, but music, politics, culture, entertainment, and family. Good sense of humor too.
    5. Field Negro: I debated adding FN because I don't think he'll write a post on this topic, but I had to include him because A.) He's friendly. He's a popular blogger who embraced me by putting me on his "Blog I am Feeling" list at a time when other bloggers in the Afrospear possibly didn't even know I existed. Furthermore, I don't know how he finds the time, but he manages to answer most of the response to his work. B.) He's funny. C.) More than that, he inspires positivity by his provocative posts that push us to think beyond our small hearts and worlds. D.) He writes on a variety of topics with wicked skills. In particular I like how he addresses crime in African-American communities while also speaking both to racial injustice as well as the need for black accountability, never being afraid to say what's really on his mind. E.) Finally, I appreciate the irony of giving a man who goes by the name "Field Negro" with an award named for a phrase that often means "the moral obligation of those of high birth, powerful social position, etc., to act with honor, kindliness, generosity, etc." Who would have thought that we'd start associating the term "field negro" with people of high birth in America. Oh, the times, they are a-changing and we hope to make them change for the better. So, I add him even though I suspect he may not have the time to follow the rules of the Noblesse Oblige Award requirements.
    6. LoveBabz: This is one of the friendliest bloggers on the Net. She's supportive of women and men of all backgrounds. She has a story to tell and she tells it well. Also, she will address any topic that strikes her fancy with honesty and give it deep thought. Lately I've enjoyed her explorations of embracing femininity.
    7. Catherine Morgan of Catherine-Morgan.com: I added Catherine because of how she advocates for health care and addresses health issues, but she also covers other topics. Plus, she's a sweet, open person who takes the high road but still stands up for her beliefs.
    If I had time to add more, I'd add Jill of Writes Like She Talks because she genuinely tries to hear what people unlike her are saying, Professor Kim of Professor Kim's News Notes because she's just good all around, and Maria Niles of BlogHer and Consumer Pop who doesn't know what it means to half-write a blog post and many others who may not even know I read their blogs.

    Thank you again, MsLadyDeborah and underOvr for thinking of me and SJP for acknowledging them both so they had the opportunity to think of me, and I had the opportunity to share the work of others. One final thanks to MimiWrites, the blogger who created the Noblesse Oblige Award.

    8 comments:

    Marvalus said...

    I am humbled, and I thank you.

    It makes me blush to receive these awards from other bloggers that I respect so much.

    Thank you again for thinking of me...

    Hagar's Daughter said...

    How kind of you to say such nice things about me. I haven't been posting much b/c of health issues so I thank you dearly for your encouraging words.

    Keep up the excellent work. Your poetry and prose are deep and emotionally touching. Congrats on the award, you are more than deserving.

    postpostracial said...

    Wow--THANKS! I don't know what to say! I'll get on my duties right away. But how hard it will be to choose others. There are so many good bloggers, and I discover new ones every day...

    Well, a wealth of riches is surely a good problem to have!

    Thanks again!

    SjP said...

    @ VP, congrats! congrats! congrats! This is indeed a wonderful award, but I can't take credit for its creation. I received it from Mimi Writes.

    But, do stay tuned. I will be passing on The Helping Hand Emblem in the very near future, which I did create ::smile::

    Congrats again!

    Vérité Parlant said...

    Thank you, SJP, for telling me the creator. I'll be making update to the post, but naturally, leaving you in because I stand by the compliments to you.

    underOvr (aka The U) said...

    Congratulations Vérité Parlant!

    I admire your writing and were it not for Ms. Lady Deborah I would be missing out on what makes this community good.

    You vary your blog in such an intelligent way that I often feel as if I'm reading an online magazine without the advertisements.

    You and I have different styles but that is what appeals to me about your blog. You share a unique feminine perspective that is intelligently and thoughtfully crafted.

    U

    msladydeborah said...

    VP,

    Thanks for your kind words about MBEV and moi!

    It is always difficult to choose just five bloggers because there are so many good ones on line.

    I enjoy reading WSATA. You have a variety of interests and you care about other people.

    Revvy Rev said...

    Very, very, very well deserved.